Culinary Arts and Nutrition
The Dietetic Technology Program of the Thompson School of Applied Science at the University of New Hampshire is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND). An Associate of Applied Science Degree and verification of program completion will be awarded to the graduates of the Dietetic Technology program after satisfactory completion of the registration pathway (consisting of all 450 hours of supervised practice and FSM 295: Professional Issues) and a minimum of 64 semester hours of credit in designated courses. Students who successfully complete the registration pathway are eligible to sit for the Dietetic Technician Registration Exam. Graduates are expected to meet all competencies as set forth by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics. Graduates of the program who pass the registration exam are prepared to practice as entry-level Dietetic Technicians, Registered. A Dietetic Technician, Registered is eligible for membership in the Academy of Dietetics and Nutrition, an organization of nutrition professionals.
The Dietetic Technology Program will prepare students through didactic coursework and supervised practice experiences with entry-level competencies as defined by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Dietetics and Nutrition. Graduates will be prepared for employment in a variety of dietetics-related fields where food, nutrition and health are emphasized.
- To help educate clients about the connection between food, fitness and health
- To help treat and prevent disease by conducting screenings, gathering data and performing other tasks
- To assist the reigstered dietitian in the nutrition care process as an important part of the health-care team
- To develop and teach nutrition classes for the public
- To manage employees, purchase and prepare food and assist with budgets within food service operations
- To prepare food labeling information and conduct nutrient analysis
Accreditation Council for Education on Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
Academy of Dietetics and Nutrition (ADN)
312/899-0040, ext. 5400